Celery root is one of my favorites! This tiny tuber is packed with nutrients that are good for your immune system. It’s one of our most beneficial root vegetables and is good as a main dish and accompaniment, says chef and food consultant Toril Gulbrandsen at the Information Office on Fruits and Vegetables (OFG) in a press release.
Toril Gulbrandsen continues:
Celeriac is wiser to use at dinner this winter. In addition to its good taste and nutrition, it contains a lot of vitamin C and folic acid which are good for strengthening the immune system.
The ugly duckling is a favorite vegetable for chefs
Celery root is large, tuberous, nodular, wart-like with a green to light brown root with a crisp white color and ivory flesh, here the “swan” appears – from the inside.
Celery root excels in the kitchen because it is plump, deep, sweet, nutty, spicy, coarse and elegant at the same time. It’s a proud member of the “Big Four” staple vegetables along with carrots, leeks, and onions.
The plant is low in energy and fat and full of good nutrients like potassium, dietary fibre, phosphorous and copper. Folic acid is a B vitamin that reduces tiredness and fatigue while protecting your body and keeping you healthy – like vitamin C, while dietary fiber provides a happier stomach and better digestion.
5 Facts You Might Not Know About Hipster Tuber
1. Celery root probably comes from the Mediterranean countries. Homer mentions the root of celery in the epic poem “The Odyssey” around 720 BC under the name Selinon, hence the name celery.
2. In the past, celery root and celery stalks were the same, but in the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, several different species were grown. Now we have different types like: wild celery, celery sticks/stalk, celery root/celery and celery leaves.
Celery tubers are good for the cardiovascular system. The plant has a beneficial effect on the nervous system and relieves stress.
4. It can be stored for 6 to 8 months if stored between 0 and 5 degrees Celsius. Good for the climate and good for your stomach during the winter months.
5. Everything can be eaten – the leaves and the stem.
Try all the good things you can make with celeriac as a starting point.
The traditional kebab or shawarma consists of grilled steaks. Here, celery root is used instead of meat, but with a characteristic kebab seasoning. The court is a guaranteed surprise. Celery root plays the main role. The idea is after one of the winning dishes in the 2020 Green Chef cooking competition.
2 celery roots
4 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 tablespoons kebab seasoning
2 cans garlic – mashed
Salt and Pepper
2 Arabic bread or nan bread
4 dL Tzatziki
10 grams fresh coriander
Homemade kebab seasoning
Barley and cinnamon
½ teaspoon coated with spices
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried hot pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 gram salt
This is what you do:
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Wash, clean and peel the celery root. Use a potato peeler or a sharp knife.
3. Cut the celery into very thin whole slices evenly.
4. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and place the slices on top of it. If necessary, use two drawers if there are many slides.
5. Mix the oil, half the lemon juice and the mashed garlic and season it well. brushing on discs.
6. Bake the slices approximately in the middle of the oven. 25 minutes. Feel free to use hot air. Flip them all the way. The slices should be soft in the middle and slightly crunchy at the edges. Baking time varies according to how tender the slices are.
Lay the slats on top of each other so that it looks like a tower at the end, starting with the largest and ending with the smallest. Insert a grill stick through the tower and it will maintain its shape. The tower can rest a bit before you cut it.
8. Sprinkle well with lemon.
9. Cut the celery tower into thin slices and serve it on hot naan bread or in hot pita bread, with tzatziki and a salad of cabbage, red cabbage and red onions.
celery root meat
Celery root meat is healthy and good for the body, head and world.
Salt-baked celery root
Taste the delicious celery root baked with salt